Artificial grass: The best products to buy in 2020
Practical and versatile, artificial grass is a great alternative for those that don’t want the time investment associated with a natural lawn. Let us help you wade through the different varieties available to you.
Important Things to Consider
- Artificial grass (also called artificial turf or pitch) is a great alternative to the natural lawn, ideal for those who are looking for more economical, long lasting, and low maintenance options.
- Versatile, artificial grass can be installed outdoors or indoors, such as playgrounds, shops, ballrooms, sports courts, terraces, balconies, pool edges and decorative areas.
- There are a variety of variations in height, length, and materials.
There are a number of variations between models that can influence your final result. To help you make the right investment, we have created this buying guide with the most important information about artificial grass models.
Artificial Grass: What is it and what are the benefits?
Unlike natural grass, which requires sunlight, irrigation, and mowing, artificial grass can be installed in any environment. If you want a lawn that is always green, even if it is in a small area of your home, such as on the balcony, for example, artificial grass is the right choice.
The following are the main advantages and disadvantages of artificial turf:
- Imitates natural grass
- Does not change color
- Easy to maintain
- Does not require an irrigation system
- Can be used inside or outside
- It’s artificial, so lacks the touch and feel of grass, which is desirable for some homeowners
Where can you install artificial grass?
The first thing that comes to mind when we think of artificial grass is probably football fields. However, this grass can be used anywhere; think of it as a grass styled rug. Artificial grass is widely used in outdoor gardens, due to its practicality in installation and maintenance.
Artificial grass is also used frequents indoors as well. In apartments for example, artificial grass brings a little bit of an outdoor feel, either on the balcony or even in the living room. Another option is to use artificial grass as a carpet and even as a wall decoration.
How to choose an artificial grass
Depending on what you intend to do with the grass, you need to take into account some factors such as softness, the height of the strands, and comfort. Here are the tips from experts on how to choose a grass according to your application:
Grass used for sporting purposes, must withstand a high impact load. Therefore, the ideal is to opt for a high density product.
For landscaping and interior design
Grass used in landscaping tends to have its fibers on the longer side, just to be more showy.
In addition, artificial grass can be combined with the natural vegetation present on the site or used to create a cozy and modern room inside a residence or office.
For recreational use
Artificial grass is also ideal for use on the floor of playgrounds, playrooms, or other spaces for children. As its texture is soft and non-slip, children can play freely, and safely since even possible falls will end up being cushioned. Choose a grass that has shorter bristles that allow easier cleaning.
Can I apply artificial grass to any surface?
Although it is versatile and can be applied in any type of environment, not every installation surface is created equal. Some surfaces will require extra preparation. According to experts, the ideal surfaces that require no preparation include tile, ceramic, smooth stone, or asphalt surfaces. Dirt surfaces will require excavating and smoothing 1-2 inches of ground. If you have a yard with a high sand or silt content, you may have to excavate even more and add an extra layer of geotextile fabric.
The grass itself will drain spilled liquids and rain through to the bottom; however, if installed outdoors and the installation surface is not porous, you may need to add a drainage system to prevent accumulation of water.
How to clean and maintain your turf
Cleaning and sanitizing artificial turf is one of the great benefits of this surface; the process is simple and less laborious compared to natural grass. If you maintain artificial turf properly, it can last for many years.
You can do this by regularly brushing the grass. To do so, use a brush or broom with large bristles and medium hardness. Follow the manufacturer’s directions for cleaning. In general, if the grass is still dirty after brushing, perform the following:
- Apply bleach or manufacturer recommended cleaning agent to remove persistent dirt and stains.
- Use water to remove the cleaning agent and apply a mild soap. Rinse again to remove the soap.
- Using a soft squeegee, remove excess water from the surface.
- Wipe with a dry cloth or let the lawn air dry
How much does artificial turf cost and where can you buy it?
Purchasing criteria: what to consider before choosing an artificial grass
Now that you know the advantages of artificial turf, the next step is to choose the best option for you. It is important that you take some criteria into account. We list the main ones here:
- Pile Type
- Pile Height
- Roll Size
When buying artificial grass you may come across terms that can confuse you, such as fibrillated and crimp. But these terms, which define the type of artificial grass pile, are easy to understand and will have a major effect on your application.
Here are the characteristics of the three main types of artificial grass Pile types.
- Fibrillated: Here the strands have ridges along their entire length, appearing like fibers. Therefore, they look more like leaves, and aesthetically approximates the appearance of natural grass.
- Crimped: This is a type of grass in which the threads are twisted. Thus, this artificial grass becomes more compact and resistant to pressure. It is used in football fields or other sporting applications
- Flat ribbon: This grass has smooth piles, without fibers or a twisted shape. This is the cheapest option, usually found at novelty stores or on toys. Not typically meant to be used in applications where it is walked on.
Next, it is important that you consider the thickness of the grass, a factor that will have a direct relation to your application. The taller the strands, the more comfortable the grass will be to the touch. In general, the thickness of artificial grass is quoted in inches or mm.
But we will mention the five main types of artificial grass that differ in terms of thickness:
- 1/4 inch (12 mm): This thickness is considered short and is ideal for artificial grass that will be installed in playgrounds, schools, urban parks, residential common areas, shopping centers, and other high traffic areas.
- 3/5 inch (15 mm): This thickness is the recommended height for sporting such as tennis courts, football, and mini golf greens.
- 3/4 inch (20 mm): Artificial grass whose threads are this tall are ideal for decorative surfaces. It is comfortable and can be used just about anywhere.
- 1 1/4 inch (30 mm) and larger: With appearance very close to the natural lawn, the 1 1/4 inch grass is suitable for outdoor gardens where a realistic aesthetic desirable; it can be difficult to tell this height from the real thing. Over time, if this height is in a high traffic area, the blades with bend and loose its realistic appearance.
Another factor that you should note is the size of the roll in which the grass is sold, since since it is sold per square foot. It is necessary that you calculate the area where you will install the artificial grass. To do so, just multiply the width by the length of the location.
In addition, we recommend that you always buy 10% more of the measured size, in case you need to make cuts.
Grasses may be one solid color of green, multiple shades of green/yellow, or obviously artificial colors, such as blue or red.
The models with two colors are the most realistic, as they have a mixture of green and straw color, which generates an effect closer to the color of natural grass. Colors other than green can give you a funky and fun appearing space.
The Best Grass: Our Favorites
With the above guide in mind, we hope you have narrowed down the type of grass that will suit your application. Here are a few options that may suit you needs.
AGOOL Artificial Grass Turf
The AGOOL Artificial Grass comes with an authentic appearance which may be used in a number of distinct ways. This grass comes in many different roll sizes from 3 to 95 square feet, giving you lots of options to fit your yard space.
AGOOL has a Pile height of 1 3/8 inches and 4 different shade of green/yellow that helps it feel and look like genuine grass.
LITA Premium Artificial Grass
LITA Premium Artificial Grass comes in three different roll sizes from 3 to 91 square feet. The grass integrates multiple shades of green/yellow for a realistic look.
LITA grass is made from UV resistant polyethylene and poly polypropylene that is durable and made to resist wear and tear from frequent use.
Juvale artificial Grass
Juvale Synthetic Grass comes in a 12 inch by 12 inch 4 pack. This grass is a more economical solution that can be used in any size space to brighten up an area but lacks the durability of other models. It’s a realistic appearance with a lush green color but not as convincing as multi-color designs. Overall, its a great option for those on a tight budget.